The Weber 15501001 Performer Deluxe Charcoal Grill combines the best of traditional and high-tech grill features. The electronic Touch-N-Go gas ignition system ignites standard charcoal briquettes with just the touch of a button.
The unit also has a removable countdown timer with easy-to-see readout to tell you when the food is done.
Rated 4.8 out of 5 stars
217 total reviews (as of August 25, 2016)
Click here to read the reviews
Versatile and Easy
The grill uses Weber’s Gourmet BBQ System grates. These are in two parts and can be used, if you want, with optional Weber cookware.
The grate is heavy duty and the grill bowl is made of porcelain enamel. Tidying up is simple due to the high-capacity ash catcher and Weber’s One-Touch cleaning system.
Charcoal is safe from the elements due to the CharBin container. The unit has its own painted metal table, which is both sturdy and convenient. It has a bottom shelf made of wire.
The aluminum vent won’t ruse and the nylon handles are reinforced with glass.
The Weber 15501001 Performer Deluxe Charcoal Grill Reviews
What Customers Are Saying
One of the most common words used in review is “great.” The grill has a big following of seasoned grill masters. Many of them are long-time Weber users.
Here is a roundup of what they have to say about the Weber 15501001 Performer Deluxe.
- Users say the entire grill is made to last. One, who calls himself a “serious griller,” mentioned that he still uses his 22-year-old Weber grill for smoking and grilling. He likes the new one, but was making the point that Weber makes them strong.
- The attached table is called “well built and a heavy construction.” It gets high marks for easy cleanup. It is easy enough to “easily hold” a 20-lb. bag of charcoal.
- It is easy to roll from one spot to the next. It has four wheels and two that turn so it is simple to maneuver.
“Easy to Assemble”
- The grill is easy and quick to assemble. Everything you need to grill is in the box, with the exception of charcoal and propane.
- The cover is optional so you need to buy it separately. Several reviewers say it is a helpful investment.
- Even users who didn’t consider themselves mechanically inclined thought this grill was easy to put together. And it can be done by one person. The instructions are called “clear and easy-to-follow.”
- One wife said it took her husband about an hour to assemble, and he didn’t get “frustrated” while he did it.
- The grill has only a limited number of small pieces, meaning fewer to get lost. One reviewer suggested not tightening everything too much until the screws are connected.
The Grill and Grate
Users answered several questions about the grill. Here is what shoppers are wondering about:
- The grill is copper colored, not copper. It is made of heavy rolled steel.
- Yes, you can add a rotisserie.
- The grate is hinged on the sides. The set also comes with two charcoal baskets. Access to the baskets is via the hinged grate.
- The center section is removable.
- The optional cast iron grate for steaks is considered a worthwhile buy.
- The work surface is 20” x 22”.
Propane Ignition vs Chimney
- Several people suggested using the ignition (which is part of the grill) with the chimney (which is optional). They said the two together make lighting the grill very simple and clean. By using the propane to light the chimney, your charcoal is ready to use more quickly.
- On the other hand, other buyers say the ignition makes it so fast to light the charcoal that they see no reason to buy a chimney.
- Typical time for the briquettes to get ready is 8 to 12 minutes.
- Users made it clear that this is a traditional charcoal briquette grill. It doesn’t cook by propane. The fuel is strictly for starting the charcoal.
- The grill uses propane in bottles. It can’t be hooked up to a home gas outlet.
- The ash catcher makes it safer to use this grill on a wood deck. But users point out that with any grill there is fire danger around wood.
- The ash catcher makes cleanup easy, not messy or dirty. A pan under the bottom of the grill catches the ash. All you need to do is pull out the lower vent handle and move it back and forth until all the ashes drop into the catcher. Most people seem to empty the catcher with every three or four uses of the grill.
As a Smoker
- This grill works fine for smoking meats. One user suggests adding soaked wood chips to the charcoal for smoking. Keep adding extra briquettes and wood chips as needed.
- Some users who smoke meat with this grill use the charcoal baskets that come with it. Others suggest using a Slow n Sear or Smokenator.
- For smoking or regular cooking, you can add hardwood chunks.
Compare Prices on the Weber Performer Deluxe Grill
Price Information and History
- All prices mentioned above are in United States dollar.
- This product is available at Amazon.com.
- At amazon.com you can purchase Weber 15501001 Performer Deluxe Charcoal Grill, 22-Inch, Black for only $549.00
- The lowest price of Weber 15502001 Performer Deluxe Charcoal Grill, 22-Inch, Copper was obtained on December 4, 2023 7:28 am.