Weber, a leader in grill manufacturing, keeps innovating. Their story is they just wanted to cook a better steak 50 years ago. They’re still on their quest. The Weber Q2200, an updated version of the Q220, shows Weber’s innovative touch. It is an affordable grill that suits the needs of many grillers.
To help you decide if this is the grill for you, here is a close up look at the Weber Q2200, a summary of multiple reviews posted by people just like you. It covers the grill’s features, and what people liked about it and didn’t like.
The Weber Q2200 Overview
- The Weber Q2200 Liquid Propane Grill has 280 square inches of cooking space, heated by a burner that puts out 12,000 BTUs an hour. The burners are made of stainless steel.
- It uses the Weber cast-iron cooking grates with their porcelain-enameled covering. It has split grates, which lets you use one with the grate and one with the griddle accessory, which is sold separately.
- The body and the lid are made out of cast aluminum. The lid is tall enough to make it easy to cook small roasts, chicken and other birds.
- The unit weighs 42.5 pounds and is 25.1” x 51.4” x 26”.
- The grill has an electronic ignition for easy starts. To set the heat for the burners, it uses control with infinite control valves. It also has a thermometer built in so you can keep an eye on the temperature inside the grill.
- The grill is powered by disposable 14.1 or 16.4 oz. liquid propane cylinders. You can also buy separately an LP adapter hose that lets you hook it up to standard 20-lb. tanks.
This is a redesign of the older Q220. The difference is mostly in appearance and ergonomics.
- The handles are easier to grip, front and rear cradles have been added.
- The fold-out tables on each side are both larger and more rigid.
- For a better grip, the handles and the control knobs are bigger.
Five features are standout with the Q2200:
- The electronic ignition makes it simple to start.
- It is almost fully assembled right out of the box. It just takes a few minutes with a screwdriver to finish up.
- It is totally portable and lightweight.
- The aluminum hood is high enough to handle roasts, whole chickens and other birds.
- The cooking surface easily handles enough food for 4 to 8 people.
The Q2200 Reviews – What Real Users Think
Overall Rating: 4.7/5
Number of Reviews: 1,745 (as of May 16, 2021)
Read the reviews
From Home Depot:
Overall Rating: 4.7/5
Number of Reviews: 1,183 (as of May 16, 2021)
92% of customers recommend this grill.
Read the reviews
What Users Like About It
- The Q2200 is already assembled, a fact that many reviewers were grateful for. There is a very small amount that needs to be connected, but all it takes is a screwdriver. They also liked its small size, which makes it easy to put in the car or RV and travel. It is a good size for camping and tailgating.
- The manual is written clearly so instructions are simple to understand. It also has a handy reference chart, which is water resistant, with grilling tips and a time guide.
- It is just the right size for making meals for four to eight people. If you already have a cart from the Q200, this unit will fit it.
- The fact that the grates are split makes it simple to take them off for cleaning and the they are easy to clean. The unit comes with a disposable aluminum liner pan so permanent aluminum pan stays clean.
- Cooking is efficient. The grates get hot quickly and the grill doesn’t use a lot of fuel. It has even heat distribution.
What Users Don’t Like
- Some people commented that the lowest setting is still fairly hot, which makes it difficult for true slow roasting.
- To some users, the plastic parts seemed cheap and flimsy.
- Though many loved the even heat distribution, it has its drawbacks. If you want to use pots and pans, they take a very long time to heat, even for boiling water.
Who Is It Right For?
- If you are retired and like to travel, this is a good choice.
- If you live in an apartment and have small deck space, this is the right size.
- If you do a lot of camping, it is easy to tote around and setup.
- If you love tailgating parties, this is the perfect grill, especially since it uses smaller propane tanks.
- If you don’t want to assemble a grill, this one comes almost entirely pre-assembled.
- If you regularly grill for four to eight people, this will cook that amount handily.
Who Is It Not Right For
- If you grill for less than four people, it makes sense to get a smaller unit. It will save you fuel.
- If you use pots and pans, this is not the grill for you.
- If you do a lot of slow roasting, this is not the best unit for you.
- Overall, the grillers who buy the Weber Q2200 Liquid Propane Grill love it. It is portable, quick cooking, easy to clean and uses fuel sparingly.
Weber Q2200 vs. Q2000 and the Q1200 – What’s Different?
People interested in the Q2200 often look at the Q2000 and the smaller Weber Q1200. Here is a quick overview of similarities and differences.
Q2200 vs. the Q2000
- The Q2200 and the Q2000 are very similar in looks and capacity.
- The Q2000 uses a single cooking surface and no temperature gauge, while the Q2200 has a split plate and a temperature gauge.
- The handles and controls are somewhat different.
Q2200 vs. the Q1200
- The Q2200 and the Q1200 are similar in size and weight.
- The Q1200 puts out 8500 BTU an hour compared to the Q2200’s 12,000 BTU power.
- The cooking area is smaller on the Q1200 at 189 square inches. The Q2200 features 280 square inches of cooking space.
- The lid is taller on the Q2200, which allows you more options in grilling.
- Of the two, the Q1200 is considered a more portable size than the Q2200.