Weber has been making grills for half a century. The company says they live and breath grilling. And eat it too.
The Weber Q1200 Liquid Propane Grill shows their ongoing focus on innovation. This updated version of the Q120 offers portability with advanced features that make it easy to start, grill and clean.
Here is a look at the features of the Q1200, and what reviewers who have bought it think about it, both what they like and what they don’t.
Overall Rating: 4.8/5
Number of Reviews: 4,448 (as of May 30, 2021)
Read the reviews
From Home Depot:
Overall Rating: 4.8/5
Number of Reviews: 2,866 (as of May 30, 2021)
95% of customers recommend this grill.
Read the reviews
The Weber Q1200 Overview
The Weber Q1200 Liquid Propane Grill has a stainless steel burner that supplies 8500 BTU an hour. This heats a cooking area of 189 square inches. The cooking grates are made of porcelain-enameled cast iron.
The grill starts with an electronic ignition switch. The burners are controlled with infinite setting valves. It operates with disposable 14.1 or 16.4 oz. LP cylinders. But you can buy an adapter hose separately that lets you use standard 20-lb. propane tanks.
Because it has a split grate, you can use a griddle, which is sold separately. This lets you cook bacon and other types of foods at the same time you grill. The lid is tall, which makes it possible to cook roasts and whole chickens and other birds. The unit has a built-in thermometer so you can monitor the temperature inside the grill at all times.
It is made to be portable. It weighs under 30 lbs. and its dimensions are 20.5” x 40.9” x 24.6”. The materials used are durable. The outside is cast aluminum, which is easy to clean and lightweight.
This is an updated version of the Q120. The differences are found in the larger handles for gripping, larger control knobs and the sturdier cradles at the front and the rear. The side tables made to fold out have more room and are made with more rigid materials. The newer Q1200 is easier to clean than the old Q120.
Vs. the Q1000 and the Q2200
People who are shopping for a portable grill often look at the Q1200, Q1000 and the Q2200. Here is an overview of the differences.
The Q1200 has a temperature gauge and side tables. The Q1000 has neither.
The Q1200 produces 8500 BTU, has 189 square inches of cooking space and weighs 42.5 lbs. The Q2200 produces 12,000 BTU, has 280 square inches in its cooking area and weighs just under 30 lbs.
Best Features of the Q1200
The Q1200 has four features that people especially love:
- It is almost fully assembled, right out of the box. What is left to do takes just minutes using a screwdriver.
- It is super-portable, weighing just a big less than 30 lbs.
- It uses smaller size disposable propane tanks on the go, with the option of hooking up to standard 20-lb. tanks at home.
- It is easy to clean.
What Users Like About It
- People who have bought the Q1200 love the fact that it is almost completely assembled. Using a screwdriver, it takes just a few minutes to finish the job.
- The small size is a big plus. It will fit on a small table, making it perfect for apartment dwellers.
- It fits comfortably in a car, motorhome or at a tailgate party.
- The side tables provide extra space, which is handy. They fold over when you put the Q1200 in storage.
- It is lightweight, but has a very solid feel.
- The exterior is easy to keep clean and looking new.
- The grates are simple to clean because of the porcelain finish. Many people just soak them to get them clean.
- It has a slide-out grease container to catch drippings.
- The electronic ignition makes it easy to operate.
- The temperature gauge is helpful for keeping track how food is cooking.
- The unit produces an even, strong heat, which is easy to adjust up or down.
- The manual is easy to follow and the guide that comes with the unit has accurate cooking times.
What Users Don’t Like
- A couple people commented that it seemed to take a long time to heat up fully, which wastes fuel.
- On the right side, some people felt it was very hard to get their fingers around the handle because the burner control knob was in the way.
Who Is It Right For?
- If you live in an apartment and have little space, this is an excellent unit to get.
- If you camp and like to take your grill, this is very handy.
- If you travel in a car or motorhome, it takes up very little room.
- If you like tailgating parties, this is an excellent choice.
- If you cook for up to four people, this is a good grill to get.
- If you hate cleaning grills, this is a good unit to buy because the grates are easy to keep clean
Q1200 Color Choices
Compare Prices on the Weber Q 1200 Grill